Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Home is where your baby sleeps.

Yes everyone we are HOME! We were given the "okay to go" last night and got home around 8:00 - just in time for bed according to Jet. :) The shunt surgery was a success - no problems yet thank GOD- and the doc says the fluid was flowing great. When they brought him back to us I thought right away that Jet's head looked different then I noticed how sunk in his soft spot was! I don't think I realized how raised it was until the fluid was gone and it looked so flat! Now it's looking more normal and the staples aren't bad at all - nothing like his poor back looked after his spinal surgery. He has some stitches on his tummy too - about 1 1/2 inches long- and i cringe to see his poor little tummy all stitched like that. :( That's the part that looks like it hurts. When Jet came out of anesthesia he was pretty calm and sleepy for while but recognized us with a grunt when we first saw him (talk about making his Daddy and I smile.) Then around 8:00 that night the crying started and let me say - the saddest cries I've ever heard. He was hoarse and there were tears and it sounded so horrible! I guess I'll never know if it was the pain, the unfamiliar, the changed of pressure in his head (doctor mentioned this will affect him for a week or so making him irritable) or just coming out off the anesthesia and morphine - but whatever upset him REALLY UPSET HIM. He would sleep then wake up every 30-45min or so to cry (sometimes more frequently) all night long... probably the longest night of my life. David and I were squeezed onto a little cot the width of a twin bed and there were other babies and kids crying in the other rooms alarms going off in the hospital and our own sweet boy waking up very upset. But THANK GOD everything seems to be working and he is feeling better now at home - still sleeping this morning at 8:00am and only woke up ONCE last night! Hence the title of this blog - Jet is definitely happy to be in his bed at home!

So thank you ALL for your prayers and KEEP EM COMIN cause the next few weeks scare me just as much as I pray the shunt will work and we won't experience any shunt malfunctions or infection and end up back at the hospital. We have warning signs to look for (fever, extreme sleepiness, vomiting, inconsolability) so pray we don't see any of those and that Jet rests and eats and keeps healing! Our biggest concern right now is keeping Jet hydrated. His appetite yesterday was minimal and he vomited 2 times while were were still in the hospital -oh my goodness it scared me- but they said it was expected and gave us some anti-nausea before we came home that definitely helped - but vomiting a lot is a warning sign so I'm praying he keeps his food down today. I would hate him to get dehydrated and put us right back in the hospital.

So much of this is unknown and unpredictable. If you know me those are NOT things I handle well. I want to KNOW and PREDICT and FIX....and I can't. Once again I'm reminded of the hymn "Teach me Lord to Wait" and I am reciting in it my head to keep me calm and trusting HIM. So in your prayers, ask God to help me (and my family) wait on the Lord for guidance, healing, wisdom and faith. We will keep you posted with Jet's progress. :) He goes back in 2 weeks to have the staples and stitches removed so I'm praying all goes well until then.

Thank you all and God bless you.
Here are some pics of the little guy getting ready for surgery.
The nurse in pre-op blew bubbles while she took his blood pressure. It was so cute! He loved them!
Mommy and Daddy used this toy ALOT to distract me! We had to wait for 3 hours before surgery time came.
I was a little congested so they gave me this breathing treatment. It was weird. lol.
The bright waiting room. This really is a great hospital.
I have my bunny before surgery! He's a little squished under Daddy's arm.
And Aubie meets me after. :)
Little angel coming out of recovery in his room.
He had this blanket in the NICU after he was born...and it's still a favorite.
Cleaning up after a bottle of pedialite. :)
Still a little out of it. But so cute.
Can we go home now?
Yes baby boy. :) We love you.

14 comments:

Kayleigh said...

Oh! I can hardly stand all the cuteness. I love you all very much.

Micki said...

So glad everything went well. The crying is so hard I know. I wonder if babies suffer the same side effects as adults when coming out of anesthesia? Vomiting, crying, etc.? Hopefully that's all it was and the pain was minimal. You wish he could tell you so you could try to make it all better. He's so cute even after all that he went through-how is that possible? Oh yeah, he's your child, how could he not be adorable. Only a few weeks until we get to see Jet! I hope we're all well enough so we can get close enough for at least one kiss!

Leigh and Andy said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are home...let the healing begin!!! :) I know that you are nervous with all of these "new" signs to look out for, but you know Jet and would know if something were "off" I was a wreck after Grey came home after his shunt surgery and called my mom about EVERYTHING (apparently moms know more than neurosurgeons) :) Anyway, give Jet extra cuddles from us!! Lots of prayers that these next few weeks go by without a hitch!

Sarah Hull said...

I was so relieved to see this post and see that you are home now. we will continue to keep Jet in our prayers. It took Katie about a week or so to get back to normal. It scared me so much when she couldn't even sit up without throwing up... but eventually she got used to the new levels.
Those pictures of Jet in the hospital are darling! He is such a cute boy.

Cassie said...

Thanks for letting all of us know how Jet is doing. I've prayed for him each day this week. Prayers will continue for a quick recovery and that this shunt will last for a good while. He's a cutie.

truly blessed said...

I was hoping you had posted and sure enough, you didn't disappoint. :) SO happy to hear everything went well and he's back home where he belongs. The words to Teach me Lord to wait and going through my head as I type. That song means so much.
Wish I could give you a big squeeze. I'll send up a prayer for you instead. Take a deep breath and give that heavy weight on your shoulders to God. He can handle it.
I love you guys.

KeicherMom said...

I'm so glad to hear you guys are HOME and things are going well! You'll be fine with watching for any failure/infection signs...mother's intuition! I've taken Em in a few times over minor concerns (but concerns none the less) and had them run a shunt series to verify everything was okay.

We'll continue to keep Jet in our prayers as he heals. LOVE his pictures. Just want to squeeze those cheeks!

Johnson A GoGo! said...

So glad Jet is home and doing better! Your mom was so awesome about keeping me updated - can't thank her enough for doing that.

That song is the song I sung to myself all the time while waiting for little Claire. Always loved it and it always moves me still. It's a great reminder!

Jet looks so big sitting in that bed! What a great boy he is - as always! So glad Aubie was there with him to give him a hug for me!

I love you all.

Wee Little Weis said...

We love you so much. I just want to hug and squeeze him so tight...We cannot begin to even imagine all of the worry and concern you feel as a parent during times such as these. .We want you both to know you are such witnesses to the amazing, powerful and loving God, we serve. We love this little miracle with all of our hearts.
p.s. Jane thiks Jet is pretty handsome too :-)

Wee Little Weis said...

WOW...it's past my bedtime and I obviously don't proofread...lol!

Carli said...

Hope you (and your Mommy) enjoyed the cake!! You are such a strong little guy.
Love you - Aunt Carli

Summers Family said...

Yeah, Jet is home and looking as cute as ever. I love those pictures. Hoping he slept well again tonight and is becoming more comfortable each day. That first night in the hospital was the hardest for Annabelle both times as well. I can assure you that now you know what a non-full fontanel feels like you will be able to tell no problem (for the first year at least) if that shunt starts malfunctioning. I so believe in a mother's instinct (now!) We will continue to pray each day that his shunt will continue to work properly and all will go back to normal very soon. He's so lucky to have such wonderful parents to take care of him.

Sending hugs,
Nicole

Brittany said...

Thank you so much for the update... I've been checking every day waiting for some news about Jet. I am so happy that everything turned out okay. Stay strong little mommy! Jet will be just fine as long as he is in your safe arms:-) Your strength through all of this has brought me to tears. As I sat on the side of the road yesterday trying to soothe my gassy baby, I thought of all you're going through. I said to myself, "You've got to be as strong as Joanna!" YOU ARE A GREAT MOMMY!

Lindsay said...

So glad to hear that Jet is home and doing well! He is so cute!!! Praying that healing goes well! Keep us posted!

Popular Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails