Thursday, April 2, 2009

Our Spontaneous Hospital Tour

So after scheduling a hospital tour with both Kennestone (where I'll deliver) and Scottish Rite (where baby will go afterward) we unexpectedly ended up at Labor and Delivery at Kennestone Hospital yesterday. Don't worry! No baby yet. :) In fact baby had nothing to do with it and was probably oblivious to the whole thing cause he just kept swimming around like normal. lol. It was all mommy and believe me that was actually a relief. But of course whenever mommy is having problems, doctor wants to make sure to fix them so baby doesn't have to feel anything later on. I started having some pains in my right side around 10:30 yesterday morning at school and, to explain the progression of the pain, by 12:00 I was laying down on the floor of my classroom on a couple of bean bag chairs! Yes the kids thought I had lost my mind and looked at me with smiling wary faces as I graded papers from the floor. By 2:00 the pain was even worse so I called my doctor and she wanted me to come in. I was pretty certain baby was fine (I could feel him kicking all around) but I was glad to get checked out anyway. After checking baby's heartbeat and confirming it was not likely related to baby (not labor pains) I was sent to Labor and Delivery to check out everything from gall bladder, kidneys, pancreas, appendix etc. My blood pressure was up and I was running a fever (both probably due to the pain I'd been in for 6 hours) so they hooked me up, tested blood, did ultrasounds of the area and make me more uncomfortable. lol. Good news - 4 hours and 2 IVs later we were free to go. The doctor said everything checked out fine. The pain had gone by this point and I was actually hungry again (all I'd had was a bagel and a little egg salad at 1:00).  Diagnosis? Thankfully (though rather anti-climatic) the doc thinks it was just some trapped air in a really bad spot. I've been given specific eating instructions to help avoid the situation again. Apparently this is not uncommon in pregnancy and can mimic labor pains it can be so bad. Glad it was not something serious this time. :) She also discovered in the bloodwork that my protein is low (and iron...found that out last week) so I'm supposed to eat an egg a day and I'm on iron supplements. Doc says baby is doing a beautiful job of "being a little parasite." haha. Good baby. So my mom, David, baby and I left the hospital tired, thankful and hoping to not visit again until it's BABY TIME! Phew!

5 comments:

Micki said...

I'm so glad everything is okay. I would get those kind of pains too, but they were never so bad that I told the doctor and I obviously never had to go to the hospital. Mine were always worse at night. So now I know they were probably air pockets. Maybe you had a little virus too since you had a fever. Hope you get plenty of rest tonight to make up for such a stressful day. Pain is never any fun.

Love,
Aunt Micki

Johnson A GoGo! said...

Ah! I'm so sorry Joanna! I know you must have been miserable. So glad everything is going well now. I hope that is the last thing before that little one arrives!

Leigh and Andy said...

I'm glad to hear that you are both doing well!! No one likes those unexpected hospital visits! Just a few more weeks and it will be the real thing! YAY!!! I can't wait to see pics of this liitle guy!

Kayleigh said...

So basically you just had gas? That's lame- why couldn't you have had internal hemmorhaging or something exciting like that?

jk, I love you and I'm so glad you're well. You scared me! ~ Kay

Summer Pendley said...

Oh my goodness...this post scared me to death at first! SOOO glad that everything's okay..and that it's just a little "air!" Haha! Don't you just LOVE being pregnant??? Haha...glad you're doing well, and I'll be thinking about you especially over the next month as you prepare to meet this beautiful boy!! :)

Popular Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails